lunes, 2 de mayo de 2011

INTERMEDIATE SPEAKING EXAM ADVICE AND EXAM SAMPLES



This advice is connected to the Speaking Exam, Part 2 in particular, where you and your partner are having a conversation.

The topics that will be covered are based on basic English discussions in general and what we have covered in the book.... (giving advice (showing concern, giving and responding to advice), asking for and making recommendations and suggestions, comparing and contrasting, giving personal opinion (likes and dislikes), offering alternatives, giving preferences, making choices, describing feelings and giving reasons why...) (See appropriate pages in book).

Here are examples of questions and answers to practice with a partner. Choose one topic and prepare it for the 9th/10th of May.

IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO USE AS MUCH VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR AS POSSIBLE THAT WE HAVE STUDIED IN THE BOOK...IF YOU WANT TO REALLY HELP YOURSELF GET A GOOD GRADE! ; )

REMEMBER THAT THE SPEAKING WILL BE ASSESSED IN ACCORDANCE WITH: FLUENCY, GENERAL PRONOUNCIATION, VARIETY OF GRAMMAR STRUCTURES, VARIETY OF VOCABULARY, COHERENCE AND RELEVANCE, COMPLETION OF THE TASK (THAT MEANS ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS ASKED).


1. Holidays...go here to see the Q and A.

2. Jobs....here

3. Your Future...here

4. Your town ...here

5. Hobbies...here

6. Profile...here

7. Food ...here

Here are some other topics with questions and answers to also practice.

Advice

SOME USEFUL LANGUAGE FOR PART 2 OF THE SPEAKING EXAM

A) SUGGESTIONS

ASK FOR SUGGESTIONS
· What shall we do tonight?
· Where shall we go tonight?

MAKE SUGGESTIONS
· How about going to the cinema?
· Why don’t we have a meal in that new
restaurant?
· We could stay in and watch a video.
· Let’s invite some friends round for dinner.

RESPOND TO SUGGESTIONS
· Yeah, that’s a great idea.
· Yes, that sounds good.
· Well, I think I’d prefer to go to a disco.
· Yes, OK
· All right, I agree.

B)DISCUSS ALTERNATIVES

· Which do you think is best?
· Yes, that’s possible.
· It’s difficult to decide but …….
· I think this is more useful because …
· It would be better to go to the cinema
because ….

C) ASK FOR OPINIONS

· What do you think about that?
· Do you agree?
· How do you feel about that?

GIVE YOUR OPINION
· I think/I don’t think that’s a good idea
because…
· Personally, I think that’s a terrible idea
because …
· In my opinion it would be better to stay in a hotel
because ….

D)AGREE AND DISAGREE

· That’s what I think too
· I agree.
· I’m not sure I agree with you.
· Yes, you’re right.
· Well, that’s true but ….
· I’m sorry but I don’t agree with you.

E) EXPRESS PREFERENCES

· I’d rather go to a campsite
· I’d like to stay in a youth hostel
· I’d prefer to go to a hotel

F) TALK ABOUT PERSONAL LIKES /DISLIKES

· I love/quite like/really enjoy/don’t
like/hate camping because …
· I find (don’t find) visiting museums quite
boring/exciting/expensive/relaxing …
· I’m (I’m not) very interested in / quite
keen on sport …..

REMEMBER!

· Think about the type of situation – is it directly about you or a third person? If it’s about a third person, use he or she consistently.
· Give reasons for your opinions/ideas.
· Make sure you give your partner an opportunity to participate equally in the
discussion.
* Read some more advice in Spanish here
* And last but not least, do your best and try to relax...you might even enjoy it! ; )

6 comentarios:

  1. Thanks Liz!!! It´s very interesting and helpful.

    Dara.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. hello, I remember that the last week there were more exams and betters in your blog, weren´t it? Where can i find those exams?
    Pedro Garcia

    ResponderEliminar
  3. THANKS LIZ.This advices can help me a lot. I hope it!Carmen Rosa

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hello LIZ. I read your blog last week. It was interesting so i come back on but still you don't have put a new update. I'm interested to read debate topics so that i found that kind of niche or blog. It's helping me to improve my self. I'll waiting your new update. Thank you for this blog, it's so helpful to me.

    ResponderEliminar